Arteries are blood vessels that carry blood rich in oxygen throughout the body. Healthy arteries have smooth inner walls and blood flows through them easily. Blockage in arteries result from a build-up of a substance called plaque on the inner walls of the arteries. Arterial plaque can reduce blood flow or in some instances, block it altogether. Blocked arteries greatly increase the risk of heart attack, stroke and even death.
Although the exact trigger of clogged artery is unknown but it begins with damage to the inner wall of the artery caused by high cholesterol, hypertension or cigarette smoking. Over the time, cholesterol, calcium and other substances accumulate in the wall of the artery and form fatty deposits called plaques. The narrower artery opening limits blood flow. These plaques can burst, causing a blood clot to form.
- Leg pain
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Heart palpitations
- Weakness or dizziness
- Arjun is herb of choice in all heart problems. Whenever there is any health issue regarding cardiovascular system, 1st herb comes in mind is Arjun. Bark of Terminalia arjuna consists of friedelin, arjunine, arjunosides, arjungenin arjunetin, arjunolic acid, oleanolic acid etc. It's packed with anti-inflammatory, blood purifier, antioxidant and nourishing properties. Arjun helps to clear channels and throws toxins out from the body. It can be taken in decoction form or powder or capsules for easy convenience.
- Garlic can prevent and treat plaque build-up in the arteries, lower cholesterol levels and prevent blood clots. The main active components of garlic called allicin and ajoene are responsible for preventing blood clots by reducing the stickiness of blood platelets.
- Guggul helps to lower high cholesterol levels, thus reducing plaque buildup in the arteries. Guggul has been most effective at lowering cholesterol. Consuming guggul can significantly improve cholesterol and triglyceride levels in people and hence prevent he artery blockage
- Turmeric contains active compound called curcumin that can prevent blood platelet coagulation and help rid arteries of plaque formation. In traditional medicine, turmeric has been used to strengthen the blood vessels. Turmeric's strong antioxidant actions can protect LDL cholesterol from being oxidized, thus lowering blood cholesterol and preventing plaque buildup.
- Ginger root reduces platelet stickiness and help clear arteries of plaque. Taking either dry ginger or fresh ginger can affect blood platelets. Ginger contains more than 12 antioxidants and can help reduce serum cholesterol levels, improve circulation and lower the risk of blood clots thereby preventing artery blockage.
- Hawthorn has been used in traditional medicine to treat cardiovascular disease. It prevents plaque formation in arteries, lower high cholesterol and lower high blood pressure. The polyphenols called rutin and quercetin in hawthorn have antioxidant properties that can improve cardiovascular health and stop plaque buildup. Hawthorn also helps regulate the heartbeat, dilate blood vessels and decrease peripheral vascular resistance. Hawthorn is found in most herbal remedies for treating hardening of the arteries, angina and heart weakness.
Home Remedies for Artery blockage
- The compound capsaicin present in cayenne pepper prevents bad cholesterol. This in turn reduces bad cholesterol levels in the blood, which is one of the main reasons behind artery blockage. It also improves blood circulation and reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke. Add ½ to1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to a cup of hot water. Drink it twice daily for a few weeks.
- Lemon is high in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that helps improve blood pressure, reduce inflammation of the arteries, helps lower blood cholesterol levels and keeps arteries clear by preventing oxidative damage in the blood stream. Mix the juice of 1 lemon in a glass of warm water, along with a little honey and black pepper powder. Drink it once or twice in a day for a few weeks.
- Fenugreek seeds relieve clogged arteries. Fenugreek has saponins and high amount of fiber that can help reduce the level of the artery-clogging LDL cholesterol. Soak one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. The next morning, eat the soaked seeds along with the water on an empty stomach.
- Pomegranate is rich in antioxidant phytochemicals. It stimulates production of nitric oxide in the blood that cleanses arteries and regulates blood pressure. Eat 1 to 2 fresh pomegranates daily or drink a glass of freshly extracted pomegranate juice once daily.
- Eat more fruits with bright colors, such as oranges, butternut squash, mangos, tomatoes, watermelon and blueberries. Enjoy some early morning sunlight to get vitamin D, which helps reduce arterial stiffness. Consume 2 to 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil daily to help reduce plaque buildup in the arteries. Cook food in extra-virgin olive oil for its positive effects on cholesterol levels and oxidative stress in the blood stream.Drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea daily to keep the arteries free from bad cholesterol or LDL. Eating a few walnuts daily also helps unclog arteries.
Herbal Remedies for Artery blockage
Planet Ayurveda offers pure herbal extracts in the form of capsules, tea like Arjuna Capsules, Total Heart Support, Arjun Tea, Gotukola Capsules etc. These help to improve blood circulation, nourishes heart tissues and clears the channels to remove impurities. Regular use is highly advised for better results. Herbal remedies provide great support along with allopathic which can be withdraw slowly. These are absolutely free from any kind of side effects rather one gets side benefits. Opt for standardized herbal extracts along with home remedies and balanced diet for complete treatment.
- Arjun Tea : 1-2 Cups, twice daily.
- Total Heart Support : 2 Capsules, twice daily with plain water, half an hour after meals.
- Arjuna Capsules : 1 Capsule, twice daily with plain water after meals.