Astragalus Root (Astragalus Membranaceus)
Astragalus is a herb that has its roots in Chinese medicine and known to be a miracle for heart diseases. It strengthens the immune system and fights against diseases. The root of this herb is the main content of various medicines which is being used for a very long time. This herb is also used as a natural supplement. Astragalus combat the stress along with fighting the stress. This herb kills tumor cells and relieves symptoms of chemotherapy.
General Description of Astragalus
Astragalus is the largest genus of plant in its whole species. It is native to Northern hemisphere's temperate region and regions of China. Perennial and annual both the species are present of this plant. This herb comes from a type of legume or bean. Its roots are the only parts of the part which are used medicinally and can be harvested from 4 years of age.
What is the Botanical name of Astragalus?
What are the common names used for Astragalus?
Milk-vetch, Huang, and locoweed.
How is Astragalus Scientifically Classified?
- Kingdom - Plantae
- Phylum - Angiosperms
- Subphylum - Eudicots
- Class - Rosids
- Order - fabales
- Family - Fabaceae
- Subfamily - Faboideae
- Tribe - Galegeae
- Subtribe - Astranalinae
- Genus - Astragalus L.
What is the Chemical Composition of Astragalus?
It consists of flavonoids, which controls and kills free radicals preventing cancer, heart diseases, and immunodeficiency viruses. Saponins control the blood cholesterol and help to lower it down to a normal level. Polysaccharides have anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antimicrobial properties.
Which part of the Astragalus is used for the Medicinal Purpose?
Roots are only used for medicinal purpose.
What are the Medicinal Properties of Astragalus roots?
- As we know from arthritis to cardiovascular diseases inflammation is present in all the diseases. The root of Astragalus is rich in anti-inflammatory properties. It relieves inflammation and its associated symptoms like pain, redness, and swelling of the affected part.
- Seasonal allergy can be relieved effectively by the use of Astragalus root. It acts as a strong immunity booster and strengthens the body to prevent and fight against various infection and diseases.
- Astragalus root is known as a miracle remedy for the heart. Antioxidants present in this herb prevent plaque deposition and narrowing of the blood vessels. It also lowers triglyceride level and reduces blood pressure which prevents a person from a heart attack, stroke, and hardening of the blood vessel wall.
- Stress and anxiety can be the reason of various other diseases. So it must be controlled. Astragalus root reduces the stress and promotes peace of mind and body. It reduces tension and mood swings.
- It has anti-diabetic effects which relieve insulin resistance and help to treat diabetes. This herb prevents beta cells of the pancreas from damage and increases insulin sensitivity.
- Astragalus prevents and protects kidneys and renal system from various infections and diseases.
- In traditional Chinese medicine Astragalus root has been used for a long time for healing wounds and preventing scarring.
- Aging effects can be seen due to the Oxidation and oxidative stress. Astragalus has anti-oxidant properties which strengthen the functioning of the brain and immune system that could increase the lifespan.
- It is known to relieve side-effects of chemotherapy. Side-effects of chemotherapy include nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea and bone marrow suppression. Astragalus root decreases these symptoms and makes recovery of the patient quicker and less troubling.
- Asthma can be treated with the help of Astragalus root. It decreases hypersensitivity of airways and reduces inflammation and production of mucus.
- It has mild diuretic effects, aids elimination of excess of water from the body and maintains kidney functioning.
- This herb relieves sleep problems like insomnia and interrupted sleep patterns. As it improves metabolism and overall health resulting in sound and peaceful sleep.
In what forms Astragalus root can be used Medicinally?
- Liquid extract, i.e. tincture
- Topical application
- Tea form
- Tablets and capsules.
What can be the possible side-effects of Astragalus root?
- The immune system can be suppressed from very high doses.
- People sensitive to this herb like patients having rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis and other immune system diseases should not use it.
- During fever, it should not be used.
- People taking blood-thinning medicines or beta blockers should use Astragalus root only under physician's supervision as it may cause bleeding.
- Usage of this herb should be avoided in pregnancy and breastfeeding.