Diet for Ulcerative Colitis
There are various websites and power point presentations showing different diets for ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. The opinion of many people is different on various food items to be consumed in this dreadful disease.
Ulcerative colitis is basically inflammatory colon disease and along with inflammation, there are ulcers in the large intestine. In Crohn's disease, the problem is in large as well as small intestines as well. More or less the symptoms in both the diseases are the same and treatment plan is also the same.
Modern medical treatment of Ulcerative colitis consists of using Mesacol, immune suppressants and Steroids. The long term use of these drugs is not really fruitful and ultimately the condition keeps worsening. There are many harmful effects of these medicines.
Diet and Natural Remedies for Ulcerative Colitis
There are many natural ways in which the ulcerative colitis can be treated with diet and herbs.
The foods which should be avoided in ulcerative colitis are:-
1. Citrus fruit juices
The diet of ulcerative colitis should be devoid of citrus fruit juices because they are little acidic (high in Pitta element) in nature and acid has an inflammatory effect on the mucus membrane, especially if the intestines are already weak. Normal intestines can easily digest the juices but if you look from Ayurvedic point of view as well, the citrus fruits are high in "sour taste" leading to imbalance of "Pitta (Fire element". The fire element is already disturbed in case of Ulcerative colitis.
2. Dairy Products
I usually ask my patients to stop them not only because of lactose intolerance but they are heavy do digest, especially milk, cheese and yogurt. Using more dairy products leads to fermentation and production of Ama in the intestines because the Agni (Digestive fire) is low in patients of ulcerative colitis. Dairy products should not be consumed if you are suffering from Ulcerative colitis. I have seen many patients in my clinic benefiting from stopping dairy products in their diet.
3. Packaged, Frozen food and White Flour
Many people are in favor of using white flour rather than using breads / wheat with grains. I have seen that the White flour is one of the major reasons for getting ulcerative colitis and other digestive problems. It Is easy to digest, slowly the intestines become weaker and weaker and not able to digest anything else like grains and the digestive fire slows down. The intestines become ulcerated. So it's better to use grain bread, normal bread rather than white bread, nan, pizza, pasta, fried, frozen, processed food is also not recommended.
4. Non-Vegetarian Diet
Beef, Chicken, Ham, Pork, Fish and all other meats are heavy on the already weak digestive tract. So the non-vegetarian diet should be stopped immediately.
Alcohol is very hot in nature. In ulcerative colitis, the intestines are inflamed, ulcerative and it's all because of previous "Pitta Imbalance "– i.e. Fire Element imbalance. It's very important to stop alcohol and cigarettes, especially in Ulcerative colitis.
6. Late night sleep, Stress, Hatred, Jealousy, Anger
These are all related to mind and do not help the ulcerative colitis to heal. These feelings have a high role in development of digestive disorders. The reason is that during such anxiety, stress and hard feelings, the whole blood goes to brain and muscles. The muscles become stiff, the brain remains active leading to lack of sleep and tiredness and all the blood comes from digestive system. So the digestive system and reproductive systems are shut down during the phase of anxiety, stress and above mentioned hard feelings. So all of these should be avoided. Stress can be avoided by Yoga and taking supplements like Ashwagandha, Sttress support etc. Remaining calm, leading a relaxing life style is recommended.
5. Other Juices
Juices like Aloe vera juice, other packaged juices should not be consumed if you are suffering from ulcerative colitis. Strong laxatives like Senna, Castor oil should not be consumed.
What to Eat in Case of Ulcerative Colitis?
- Pomegranate Juice -The juice of pomegranate helps a lot to arrest the bleeding and provide essential nutrients. 100 ml twice daily is recommended.
- The fruit skin (peel / cover) of pomegranate fruit is highly recommended in cases of ulcerative colitis to arrest bleeding as well as stop stools.
- The marigold flower petals, Rose petals are cooling in nature. The petals should be chewed twice daily. Take about 10 grams of petals every day.
- Green grass, wheat grass juices are good to replenish the nutrients and arrest bleeding.
- The bark of a tree – Halorrhena antidysentrica ( Kutazghan Vati) , Combination of herbs called Vatsakadi Churna ( contains Pomegranate fruit peel, and about 10 more herbs), Terminalia arjuna are all good.
- Pitta aggravating foods and spices like Turmeric, Ginger, Tulsi, and Garlic should be avoided.
- Relaxation therapies like massage (every week) are helpful.
- If there is bloating and vata imbalance, the following herbs can be boiled in about 400 ml water (each 1 tablespoonful) .. boil until the decoction remains about 50 ml. So simmer it down to 1/8th of the original quantity of the water.The herbs are Cumin, Fennel, Coriander and Thyme. This herbal tea is recommended for once or twice a day, 1 hr. after meals.
Since the ulcers should be healed, As ayurveda has a lot to give...
Herbal Remedies for Ulcerative Colitis
Planet Ayurveda presents an authentic Ulcerative Colitis Care Pack to take care of disease.
- Vatsakadi Churna : 1 teaspoonful twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Pitta Balance : 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Arjuna Capsuels : 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Kutazghan Vati : 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meal.
To buy Ulcerative Colitis Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/ulcerative-colitis-care-pack.
Regular use for recommended time of period is must for soon recovery and better results.