What are the Uses and Health Benefits of Juniper Berry (Juniperus communis)?
What is Juniper berry?
Juniper berry has a great medicinal value and this herb is mentioned in Ayurveda for the treatment of skin diseases, earache, erectile dysfunction, piles, skin diseases, and cough.
Its botanical name is Juniperus communis and it belongs to family Pinaceae. Other common names are Gin plant, Juniper bark, Dwarf juniper, Horse savin, Juniper bush.
Names of Juniper berry in different languages:
- English name: Juniper plant, common Jupiter, Juniper berry
- Hindi name: Haubera, Aaraar
- Punjabi name: Abhal
- Kashmiri name: Haubler, Betar, Pama, Petthri
- French name: Bruta, Geneverier
- Marathi name: Hosha
- Persian name: Hab-ul-Bruta
- Bengali name: Havusha
This plant is found in the Himalayan belt which grows to a height of 10 to 15 m. The leaves are 1 to 2 cm in length with a single stomatal band on its inner surface. Its flowers are unisexual in nature. Fruits are berry-like cones, green in color and ripened fruits are purple-black in colour with a blue waxy coating.
It is found on isolated mountains, on dunes in coastal areas and also spread into fields and pastures.
Berry, fruit, oil, and bark
What are the Medicinal Properties of Juniper berry?
- Rasa (Taste): Tikta (Bitter), Katu (Pungent)
- Guna (Qualities): Ruksha (Dry in nature), Teekshna (Strong), Laghu (Light for digestion)
- Veerya (Potency): Ushna (Hot)
- Vipaka: Katu (Undergoes pungent taste after digestion)
- Karma (actions): Vatakapha shamaka (Reduces vitiated Vata and Kapha dosha)
What are Medicinal Uses of Juniper berry?
- Juniper berry is used to strengthen the brain and limbs. It is also helpful in sciatica and gout.
- This herb is used as a diuretic, carminative, antiseptic, anti-microbial and anti-rheumatic.
- Juniper is also useful in treating hemorrhoids, scurvy and worm infestation.
- It is used as an excellent antiseptic in some conditions like cystitis and also used as a diuretic in kidney problems.
- It is also used in cough, chest pain, shortness of breath and other chest complaints.
- It increases the appetite and has a stimulating effect on menstruation in females.
What are the Therapeutic Uses of Juniper berry?
Juniper berry acts as diuretic that increases the production of urine and also increases the excretion of water and salts from the body, helps in removing toxins at the same time. This herb also maintains the blood pressure.
Gout and Arthritis
In this disease, this herb acts as a natural detoxifier that removes the toxic substances and stimulates the smooth flow of blood. It also cures the symptoms related to arthritis, sciatica and other joint problems. It also cures swelling and keeps the bones healthy and strong.
Juniper is used as a laxative that passes the stool easily and in constipation, this herb increases the bowel movements. This herb is used as a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory that provides relief to the patient. It also avoids the straining that reduces the symptoms related to hemorrhoids.
Juniper berry has both anti-diabetic as well as anti-oxidant properties. This herb controls the blood sugar level and increases the production of insulin in the pancreas. It also helps in improving the metabolism of carbohydrates and also exerts an anti-hyperglycemic property. It also prevents complications such as diabetic retinopathy, diabetic neuralgia etc.
Juniper is used as a tonic and used for toning up of tissues, muscles, and skin. This herb maintains the metabolism and overall functioning of the body. It is also used as an antiseptic which is very effective in treating cuts and wounds and prevents swelling.
This herb is used as a stimulant in menstruation that increases the blood flow. It also acts as a pain reliever that provides relief to the body against any stress or pain.
Juniper berry is useful in treating several digestive problems such as indigestion, acidity, loss of appetite etc. This herb increases the appetite by increasing the digestive fire and also neutralizes the acidic content and reduces its production. It is also used as a laxative that increases the bowel movements and makes the stool soft. In worm infestation, this herb is used as an anti-microbial that kills the growth of microbes and keeps the digestive system healthy.
Different Preparations of Juniper berry
Recommended Doses of these preparations
- Oil: Apply oil on the affected area twice daily
- Capsules: Take one capsule daily.