Nagkesar (Mesua ferrea) - Medicinal Properties, Benefits & Uses
Life is not merely to be alive, but to be well. And to live well Ayurveda has mentioned enormous herbs, one such splendid herb is Nagkesar.
- Latin Name: Mesua ferrea
- Family: Calophyllaceae
- Sanskrit Name: Nagkesar and Nagpushp
- Hindi Name: Naghas, Nogkesar
- Kannada Name: Kanchana, Nagasampige
- Malayalam Name: Nagachempakam, Velluttachembagam
- Tamil Name: Irul, Karunangu
- Assam Name: Nabor
- Bihar Name: Nagakeshur
- Bengali Name: Nagesar
- Punjabi Name: Naga Kesar
- Telugu Name: Naga Kesaralu
It is even described as one of the srestha (Best) herb of all the rest due to its positive effects over the human body.
It is medium sized evergreen tree upto 13mm tall, often buttressed at the base with the trunk up to 90 cm in diameter.
- Leaves: About 3 to 5 inches long, it is simple, narrow, ovate or egg shaped. It is dark green in color, with a whitish underside, the new growing leaves are red in color then slowly they turn into yellow color. Flowers are about 4 to 7.5 cm in diameter with four white petals and center of numerous yellow stamens.
- Fruits: Fruits are oblong in shape they are about 2.5 to 5.0 cm long with persistent calyx.
- Seeds: Seeds are 1 to 4 in number, dark brown in color, cotyledon is fleshy and oily.
Punkesar (Stamens), Fruits, Seeds & Flowers are widely used.
The tree is generally found in India, Srilanka, Southern Nepal, Burma, Thailand, Malayasia and Sumatara Regions.
- Ras (Taste) : Kashaya (Astringent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Properties) : Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya (Action) : Sheet (Coldness)
- Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect) : Katu (Pungent)
- Dosha : Pitta (Agni, Heat) and Kapha (Cough)
- Fatty Acids
- Mesuanic Acid
- a- And ß AMYRIN
Nagkesar is Mostly Referred in Bleeding Disorders
- All the bleeding disorders occurs due to the Pitta (heat) imbalance, NAGKESAR is mostly indicated in the bleeding disorders like piles, menorrhagia, metrorrhagia & epistaxis because it pacifies the Pitta that maintains the heat imbalance.
- Piles (Arsh) are vascular structures in the anal canal which gets swollen and inflamed and the patient feels difficult to defecate with continuous throbbing (pin pricking ) pain along with bleeding stools. Nagkesar reduces swelling and shrinks pile mass, eradicate pain and stops bleeding. Fresh flowers of this tree are used to treat bleeding piles.
- Menorrhagia is termed as excessive bleeding during menses. Nagkesar cures excessive bleeding. It acts as aphrodisiac and haemostatic. Its main action is on the blood capillaries, due to its kashaya ras (astringent) and sheet virya (cool nature).
- Metrorrhagia means uterine bleeding at irregular intervals. Nagkesar due to its kashaya ras (astringent) or sheet virya (cool) helps to improve the conditions.
To buy Nagkesar Powder, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/nagkesar-powder
Our Similar Product
Pile OFF Capsules
Planet Ayurveda helps you to deal with piles in an efficient way with our product pile off capsules. The herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda help in the prevention and treatment of majority of diseases. Ingredients used in this herbal remedy are known for their healing, preventive, and curative properties. The proper and regular use of these herbal remedies can alleviate various common health problems and ailments.
Per Bottles of Pile OFF contains 60 Pure Veg Capsules.
2 capsules twice daily, with plain water after meals.
No Side effects, can be used with other herbal supplements, vitamins or other herbal remedies or natural products.
Contains Nagkesar, which helps to stop bleeding, shrinks piles and relives pain. It even contains other ingredients like Haridra (Curcuma longa), Trikatu (Zingiber officinalis, Piper longum, Piper nigrum), Nagkeshar (Mesua ferrea), Choti harad (Terminalia chebula) & Sajji Kshaar (Sodium bicarbonate) that maintain overall digestive system.
Trikatu helps to remove constipation which is the main cause of piles. Curcuma longa is a natural antibiotic, antiseptic & anti-inflammatory.
Other Uses Are
Also used in
- Polydepsia (Excessive Thirst )
Fresh flowers of this tree are useful in skin diseases like leprosy, itching, erysipelas, scabies, wounds and excessive sweating as it provides fragility and transparency to the skin.
Dried flowers are used in Dysentery with Mucus. Oil from the seeds of this tree are used in treating sores and rheumatism.
To buy Pile OFF Capsules, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/pile-off-capsules
Advantages of Our Product
Planet Ayurveda is an Ayurvedic Manufacturing Company offering wide range ofherbal products for the treatment of various ailments. Our task is to keep on developing the natural way to keep every human to look young and healthy. We promise to all the consumers the Best Quality herbal supplements and at an affordable cost. All our products are manufactured and marketed with utmost care. The active ingredients in our products are time tested and well documented in the Ayurvedic System of Medicine.