Edema (formerly known as dropsy or hydropsy) is the medical term that introduces localized or generalized swelling due to excessive fluid accumulation. Many medical problems such as infections, allergies, pregnancy and medications cause edema. Edema is classified based on location such as pulmonary (lung) edema, brain edema, cardiac (heart) edema, cellular edema, interstitial edema, pitting and non-pitting edema, pedal (feet and ankles) and peripheral edema.
About Pedal Edema
Pedal edema is defined as localized swelling of feet and ankles caused by retention of fluid in feet and ankles. It can also be caused by different conditions, dietary habits and diseases.
Major Causes of Pedal Edema
- Wearing socks and shoes tightly causes headache
- Excessive intake of salt causing cells to accumulate water
- Cardiovascular, liver, and lung diseases causes swelling of feet
- Intake of excess alcohol results in swollen faces and pedal edema
- Mal-absorption, malnutrition and trauma
- Varicose veins, hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism
- Walking on a hot summer day for a longer period
- Calcium channel blockers and non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS)
- Deep vein thrombosis and obesity
- Primary and secondary lymphedema
- Premenstrual edema and pregnancy
Natural Treatment for Edema
Natural remedies are beneficial than conventional diuretics which have several side effects. Following are the natural treatment methods to fight against edema:-
- Massage therapy works best by creating pressure at the swollen areas by activating the lymphatic system and draining away fluid naturally.
- Some regular exercises are also helpful for preventing inflammation
- For pedal edema, the patient should raise legs above the heart level for 30 minutes thrice a day. These gentle movements are also applied to other affected parts of the body.
- Sitting and standing posture for long period of time should be avoided and regular movements are must to prevent edema.
- Natural herbs such as dandelion extracts, corn silk, ginkgo biloba, horse chestnut have diuretic properties, remove excessive fluids and cure edema.
- Low consumption of sodium is preferred to prevent retention of water and physician advice should be taken for the appropriate salt intake.
- Commercial foods should be avoided and consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits is considered to control edema.
- Crushed flax, mustard seeds and oil are effective to cure edema.
- Coriander seeds are also useful to reduce swelling in different parts of the body.
- Tea tree oil is beneficial to treat edema caused by insect bite. This oil is mixed with Neem and rubbed on affected areas to control inflammation.
- Compression stockings and gloves are recommended by physicians to maintain pressure on legs and preventing accumulation of excessive fluid.
- Stockings are made of different sizes and measurements according to the patient's legs. Pain and skin irritation are discomforts of stockings if not of right measurement of the patient.
- To reduce the discomfort of regular footwear for edema patients, adaptive footwear are helpful that work like compression stockings. This footwear are like regular foot wear and provide pressure to reduce excessive fluid from legs.
- Compression gloves and sleeves are available for affected hands and arms. These work by keeping pressure on the swollen part so as to return the excess fluids back to the lymphatic system.
Besides these treatments ayurvedic medicines prove magical for the treatment of edema. Planet Ayurveda offers herbal remedies to prevent water retention and reduce swelling of different parts of body.
Herbal Remedies for Ayurvedic Treatment of Water Retention (Edema)
The major Ayurvedic treatment for water retention (Edema), provided by Planet Ayurveda is Water-EX Care Pack. This pack contains Rencure Formula, Punarnava Capsules, Water-EX Tablets and Varunadi Vati. All these herbal remedies are natural diuretics and help to fight the condition of fluid accumulation or water retention.
- Rencure Formula - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water.
- Water-EX Tablets - 2 tablets twice daily with plain water.
- Punarnava Capsules - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water.
- Varunadi Vati - 2 tablets twice daily with plain water.
Thus, follow the natural ways and opt for the herbal remedies given by Planet Ayurveda, if you are suffering from the condition of water retention and are trying to get rid of it. These are highly effective and beneficial.