What are the Uses and Health Benefits of Pergularia Extensa?
What is Pergularia Extensa?
Pergularia Extensa is an Ayurvedic herb which has been used in Ayurveda form thousand years due to its great medicinal properties. It is used for the treatment of different health issues such as diarrhea, cough, asthma, rheumatism, bronchitis, skin condition, piles, liver disorder, and uterus related problems. The herb used in a different form such as juice extracted from the leaves of Pergularia Extensa used as an expectorant in diarrhea and other digestion related problems. A decoction made from the leaves is helpfully for the treatment of a cough, asthma and other bronchitis-related problems. The root bark of the plant is beneficial for rheumatism problem because it reduces the swelling, inflammation, and pain in the joints. All parts of the herb provide relief from bleeding piles and intestinal worm.
Pergularia Extensa is a small perennial vine belongs to the Asclepiadoideae family. Mainly grows in subtropical and tropical regions of India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Arabia, and Egypt. The herb contains foul smelling when bruised and with much milky juice, stems are hairy. The leaves of the herbs are thin, heart-shaped, broadly ovate, hairless above and velvety below. The herb is climbing herbaceous plant which has been used as traditional medicines, and as food which is rich in fiber. The plant has contains many properties such as anthelmintic, laxative, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-fungal, antioxidant, analgesic, ant-infertility, hepatoprotective, expectorant and central nervous system depressant activity.
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Subkingdom: Tracheobionta
- Superdivision: Spermatophyta
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Subclass: Asteridae
- Order: Gentianales
- Family: Asclepiadaceae
- Genus: Pergularia
- Species: Pergularia daemia
Common Names of the Herb:
- Hindi: Utaran, Sagovani, Aakasan, Gadaria Ki bel, Jutak
- Tamil: Uttamani, Seendhal kodi, Veliparuthi
- English: Hariknot plant
- Sanskrit: Uttamarani, Kurutakah, Visanika, Kakajangha
- Punjabi: Karial, silai, trotu
- Bengali: Chagalbati, Ajashringi
- Gujarathi: Chamardudhi
- Marathi: Utarn
- Oriya: Utrali, Uturdi
- Malayalam: Veliparatti
- Telugu: Dustapuchettu, Jittupaku, gurtichettu
- Kannada: Halokoratige, Juttuve, Talavaranaballi, Bileehatthi balli
Chemical Constituents of Pergularia Extensa:-
The leaves, stems, roots, and seeds of the herb contain various chemical constituents which show great health benefits. The major chemicals are terpenoids, flavonoids, sterols, and cardenolide. The herb also contains some other bio-active compounds such as alkaloids, triterpenes (lupeol), saponins, steroidal compounds.
The seeds of the plant contain coroglaucigenin, uzarigenin, calactin, calotropin, and a bitter resin, pergularin and it also shows cardio-toxic action.
Uses of Pergularia Extensa
- A cough
- Urinary problems
- Bronchitis conditions
- Liver disorder
- Uterus related problems
- Skin conditions
Health Benefits of Pergularia Extensa
- The leaves of the herb contain great therapeutic activities which are useful for the treatment of respiratory ailments such as a cough, asthma, and bronchitis. The herb enhances the removal of phlegm and catarrhal matter from the bronchial tube. By doing so it provides relief from asthma. The pure decoction made from leaves useful in relieving cough and respiratory problems.
- Due to its anthelmintic property herb helps to kill the intestinal worms which are responsible for causing various digestion related problems. The ethanol extract of the Pergularia daemia leaves shows this anthelmintic property. Fried 2-4 gram of leaves in ghee and consumed them for few days.
- Pergularia daemia is also used for the treatment of arthritis especially rheumatism arthritis. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, the herb helps to reduce the inflammation and pain and also provide relief from morning stiffness in arthritis patient. The pure extracts of Pergularia daemia leaves are mixed with ginger. Consume this mixture for a few days to get relief from arthritis. The bark of Pergularia daemia herb is also effective in rheumatism. You can mix 4-8 grams of root powder with cow's milk and consume for a few days.
- The herb is also very effective for the treatment of skin disorders. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, the herb reduces the inflammation in the skin. The mixture of leaf extract has been used as an external application for the treatment of skin problems.
- The herb also acts as a uterine tonic it provides relief from excessive uterine bleeding, menstrual dysfunction, and various irregularities related to amnorrhea and menorrhagia.
- The herb also helps in hormonal related disorders such as PCOS. PCOS is poly cystic ovarian syndrome which mainly affects the fertility of female by causing dis-balance in your menstrual cycle. The paste of fresh leaves of Pergularia daemia is consumed with water for few weeks in the early morning. This will helps to maintain your menstrual cycle and also maintain the hormonal balance in your body.
- The herb is also consumed during strangury, a medical condition which is associated with painful urination. Under such medical illness there is a blockage, irritation at the base of the bladder and always feel a strong desire to urinate. Pergularia daemia provide relief from this condition.
- Pergularia daemia is also very effective in providing relief from bleeding piles. It can be consumed in a similar manner as we can consume during intestinal worm infection.
Pergularia daemia is a popular traditional herb which has been shown to have a strong action on various body effects. The leaves of the herb show great therapeutic activities which we have already discussed above.