What are the Uses and Health Benefits of Ziziphus Vulgaris (Jujube)?
What is Ziziphus Vulgaris (Jujube)?
Ziziphus vulgaris is an Ayurvedic herb which has been used in Ayurveda from centuries. The whole parts of the plant including fruit, and leaves are included in herbal categories. The fruit of the plant is the rich source of vitamin C, which is used in Ayurvedic medicines for the treatment of bleeding disorders, fever, burning sensation, and excessive thirst. Fruit of Ziziphus vulgaris is used for various skin conditions such as dry skin, itchy skin, and also used for wound treatment, ulcer, digestive disorders, high blood pressure, lack of appetite, high cholesterol level, anemia, and diarrhea. In newborn babies, it is used for the treatment of jaundice. Other benefits of this herb such as for diabetic patient, fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, obesity, cancer, inflammation, lung disorder, and asthma.
Ziziphus vulgaris is a small deciduous shrub or tree grows up to the height of 5-12 meter. The branches of the tree are thorny. The leaves of the herb are ovate-acute, 2-7cm long, 1-3cm long, and shiny green in color. The flowers are small with inconspicuous yellowish-green petals. Fruits are green when immature and after maturity color changes into brown to purplish-black and eventually wrinkled looking like dates. The herb is distributed in Southern Asia, northern India, southern China, central China, and southeastern Europe. The herb is also cultivated in Madagascar, the western part of the island, the eastern part of Bulgaria, and California. The fruit of Ziziphus vulgaris is picked in autumn season and it is also known as Ber, Indian Jujube, Chinee apple, and Indian Plum.
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Subkingdom: Tracheobionta
- Superdivision: Spermatophyta
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Subclass: Rosidae
- Order: Rhamnales
- Family: Rhamnaceae
- Genus: Zizyphus
- Species: vulgaris
What are the Chemical Constituents of Ziziphus Vulgaris?
- The main chemical constituents of Ziziphus vulgaris fruit are Zizogenin, Zeatin, Saponin, and Frangufoline.
- Bark: Leucocyanidin, Mauritines A, B, C, D, E &F frangufoline.
- Seeds of Ziziphus vulgaris contains chemicals such as betulinic aldehyde, betulinic acid, spinosin, beta-sitosterol, ceanothic acid, frangufoline, daucosterol, daucosterol-6-octadecanoate, docosanoic acid, palmitoleic acid, steric acid and sucrose.
- Leaves contains: rutin, yuzirin and yuziphine.
Other names of Ziziphus Vulgaris:
- Zizyphus sativa
- Rhamnus Zizyphus
What are the Medicinal Properties of Ziziphus Vulgaris in Ayurveda?
- Rasa (taste): Madhura (sweet), Amla (sour taste)
- Guna (qualities): guru (heaviness), Snigdha (unctuous), oily
- Veerya: sheeta (coolant)
Effect on Tridosha:
- Sweet fruit of Ziziphus vulgaris balances the vitiated vata and pitta dosha.
- Sour fruit of Ziziphus vulgaris pacifies the vata and kapha dosha
- Dried fruit of Ziziphus vulgaris balances the vata and kapha dosha.
What are the uses of Ziziphus Vulgaris?
- A cough
- Blood purifies
- Urinary conditions
What are the Health Benefits of Ziziphus Vulgaris?
The fruit of Ziziphus vulgaris has a sedative effect which helps to provide relief from anxiety. Along with this, the herb is also beneficial for stress patient. Jujubosides content in herb may increase the activity of an enzyme acetyltransferase, which helps during the biosynthesis of acetylcholine. Ultimately which helps to relieve the feeling of stress and anxiety.
Ziziphus vulgaris is also very beneficial for cholesterol. It can lower the total LDL low-density lipoproteins in the body. LDL is the bad cholesterols which cause blockage in your arteries which further causes the heart disorders. The herb is loaded with potassium which helps your blood vessels to relax and maintain the good level of blood pressure.
Liver Health Support
Ziziphus vulgaris contains the antioxidant properties which are helpful for preventing the free radical damage and reduce oxidative stress. These properties of Ziziphus vulgaris may help to maintain the healthy liver.
Improves Gastrointestinal Health
The Ziziphus vulgaris fruit has been found to prevent the formation of gastric ulcer and it also reduce the exposure of gastrointestinal region form ammonia and other harmful compounds.
Being constantly constipated can cause pain in your anal region. Ziziphus vulgaris fruit is one of best treatment to get relive from not only constipation but it also improved the quality of life.
The fruit of Ziziphus vulgaris is packed with a high content of vitamin A and vitamin C, which act as great antioxidants. These prevent our body from oxidative stress caused by free radicals. Ultimately herb boosts our immune system and protects our body from various disorders such as cancer, rapid aging, and heart disease.
The herb act as a potent anti-inflammatory agent which provide relief from muscles aches, and joints pain. The fruits of Ziziphus vulgaris are also filled with calcium and phosphorus which are responsible for strengthening your bones and also improving the overall health of bones.
Protect from Brain Damage
Ziziphus vulgaris Fruit can inhibit the activity of glutamate a neurotransmitter that can cause brain damage. Ultimately herbs help to protect brain damage in people who are suffering from stroke and Parkinson's disease.
How to use the Herb for Health Benefits?
- The paste of Ziziphus vulgaris leaves is applied externally to relieve from burning sensation and fever. The paste helps to bring down the body temperature.
- The paste of Ziziphus vulgaris bark is used for the treatment of boils and abscess.
- The decoction of Ziziphus vulgaris bark is used as a drink to treat bloating and abdominal disturbance.